What it's all about


The Challenge: Stay away from the craft stores for ONE WHOLE YEAR! This, my friends, is a challenge for me. My craft room is ridiculously overflowing. I LOVE thinking/finding new fun crafts to create and then going to the store to collect the supplies. Unfortunately, many of these projects never get finished; some never even get started. So here I am, challenging myself to not buy any craft supplies and yet still create crafts everyday!
The Exceptions: Inevitably I will need to purchase things like adhesives, glue, and thread. Well maybe not thread... Also gifts are allowed. If a family or friend feels so inclinded to send me a gift of crafts supplies who am I to refuse? I may not finish a project a day, but I will at least try. I have two small children who take up most of my time. I also enjoy other crafts like quilting. Therefore, sometimes the projects just won't get done in a day. But, I promise to try my best!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 3: "No Sew" Tutu

Work in progress
I bought a Simplicity kit for a no sew tutu.  The instructions were extremely minimal, good thing I have seen these done before.  I've just never sat down to make one.  Sadly I have plenty of supplies to make one without this kit, but of course I still bought the kit. The strips of tulle were about 6in X 18in and there were roughly 40. It came with four pieces of ribbon and I added another four from my stash.


 Step 1: One at a time, fold each piece of ribbon and tulle in half behind the strip of elastic with the loop down.


 Step 2: Holding loop, pull ribbon over elastic and through the hoop.
 Step 3: Pull tightly
Sewing a "no sew"?
 I don't usually follow instructions very well.  I usually just figure things out as I go along.  They included safety pins but said nothing about how to secure the tutu together.  So I measured on my daughter how big I would need it and sewed the two pieces of elastic together.  Then just moved the tulle pieces to cover the spot sewn.
Complete

Just in time for Ballet class today
I love the way the tutu is so fluffy!

2 comments: