What it's all about


The Challenge: Stay away from the craft stores for ONE WHOLE YEAR! This, my friends, is a challenge for me. My craft room is ridiculously overflowing. I LOVE thinking/finding new fun crafts to create and then going to the store to collect the supplies. Unfortunately, many of these projects never get finished; some never even get started. So here I am, challenging myself to not buy any craft supplies and yet still create crafts everyday!
The Exceptions: Inevitably I will need to purchase things like adhesives, glue, and thread. Well maybe not thread... Also gifts are allowed. If a family or friend feels so inclinded to send me a gift of crafts supplies who am I to refuse? I may not finish a project a day, but I will at least try. I have two small children who take up most of my time. I also enjoy other crafts like quilting. Therefore, sometimes the projects just won't get done in a day. But, I promise to try my best!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 53: Ironing

I hate ironing.  There are few things in this world that I hate, one is ironing.  I burn myself. I forget and leave the iron on, then run out of water.  I have to keep an even closer eye on my children to make sure they stay away from the ironing board. I feel like the wrinkles never get out.  But if I want to be a quilter I have to iron.  If I had realized how much ironing was involved before I started this hobby I might not have done it.  But this hobby is here to stay so I just have to suck it up.  

Today I did a lot of ironing.  And a lot of thinking.  I got no actual project completed, but I ironed. I ironed the backing fabric for the Dr. Seuss quilt.  Which now I have to figure out how I am going to do it, because of course I changed my plans when I went to the quilt store.  So I have odd amounts of fabric to do the backing, but not one piece big enough to do a solid back. (which is what I generally like to do)  I think I changed my plans because they didn't have anymore of the Dr. Seuss fabric in stock when I went that day to get the backing and binding (probably in April). They did have "remnants" that were almost big enough.  Well Ladies and Gentleman ALMOST doesn't cut it with quilting measurements.  I am sure I pulled a Tim Gunn and thought "make it work". HA!  So now I ironed lots of fabric and tried my best to come up with a simple, yet nice looking plan.  UGH!

I also ironed strips from a jelly roll.  Theoretically I would think you wouldn't need to iron these, but most of the ends were squished up (yes that's a technical term) and then there was a crease in the middle.  I then sorted the fabric by color and prepped my sewing table to try the new Jelly Roll 1600 craze that is popping up.  I thought this is it!  A quick and cute way to get a quilt top done.  Well I got about four strips into it and realized my fabric is directional, not so good.  Unless I don't care if I have owls and trucks going in both directions.  Hum... I have to think this one over.

So I am going to crawl into bed and think about it.  This is why so many projects don't get done. I do a lot of "thinking" instead of doing.  I am so worried about messing something up or not doing it perfectly that I just procrastinate enough that it doesn't get done.  So raise your glass to another day of procrastination!  But at least I didn't buy any more supplies to add to this overflowing room!

No comments:

Post a Comment