What it's all about


The Challenge: Stay away from the craft stores for ONE WHOLE YEAR! This, my friends, is a challenge for me. My craft room is ridiculously overflowing. I LOVE thinking/finding new fun crafts to create and then going to the store to collect the supplies. Unfortunately, many of these projects never get finished; some never even get started. So here I am, challenging myself to not buy any craft supplies and yet still create crafts everyday!
The Exceptions: Inevitably I will need to purchase things like adhesives, glue, and thread. Well maybe not thread... Also gifts are allowed. If a family or friend feels so inclinded to send me a gift of crafts supplies who am I to refuse? I may not finish a project a day, but I will at least try. I have two small children who take up most of my time. I also enjoy other crafts like quilting. Therefore, sometimes the projects just won't get done in a day. But, I promise to try my best!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 79: Pumpkin Jar Tea lights

My daughter and I did this a few days ago, but then we ran into a stomach bug and have been busy these past few days.  I have been saving baby food jars not sure what to do with them but knowing we would find something.  This was a fun craft that my daughter could be a part of and then after the holidays we can just throw them out.  (probably wouldn't last if I saved them because the paint easily chips off) 
The finished candle holders, we even gave one a mustache in honor of my husband.

My daughter drawing the faces. 
 
First we cleaned the labels off the jars.  They rip off easily but leave behind two small glue residues.  I use an abrasive scrubbing pad and warm soapy water to help remove them.  Then we drew faces on masking tape.  Next, cut out the peices of the faces to use as a masking.  Place the tape face on the outside of the jar.  Then paint the outside of he jar with acrylic paint.  Once dry, peel away the face and you have a window to see the tea light inside. 
I've seen this idea many ways and many places.  This particular one I saw in a Better Homes and Garden magazine.  I didn't have any sealer to seal the paint on the outside.  Otherwise I am sure the candle holders would last longer.  Also, the magazine recommended using the battery powered tealights.  I have some somewhere....I could only find one, so I used real tealights.

No comments:

Post a Comment